Benefits of Membership of Walkers are Welcome Towns network
Members of the Network are frequently asked to outline the benefits of joining the WAW network. Of course these will vary from town to town but the benefits outlined below provide a general summary gathered from current members.
- The process of applying for membership brings community groups and businesses together in partnership for the benefit of the whole community.
- Allows communities to benefit from regular networking opportunities with the Town and with other members of the Network.
- Attracts more people to visit your Town to enjoy local walks
- Economic benefit for local shops, B&Bs, Hotels, Pubs, Cafés, Restaurants, etc. through increased footfall
- Strengthens Towns’ reputation as a walking destination when signed walks/walk guides are available
- Promotes local visitor attractions
- Compliments Towns’ economic generation/tourism plans and strategies
- Demonstrates that walkers will be given a warm welcome by the local community
- Ensures that public footpaths remain open and maintained for the benefit of local people and visitors
- Promotes effective liaison arrangements with local councils and agencies responsible for footpaths. Members provide a focus for cooperation.
- Helps to create new footpaths and walking groups
- Encourages preparation of local walking guides and signage
- Promotes the health benefits of walking and being in the countryside
- Gives local people and visitors the opportunity to learn about the culture, history and biodiversity of the Towns and surrounding countryside
- Helps ensure that footpaths and facilities for walkers are kept in good condition