How to Join
There are five easy steps to becoming a Walkers are Welcome Town or Village.
- Establish a steering group to oversee the project. This can be an existing community group for example, a walkers’ group or local business association, or an ad-hoc group brought together specifically for the purpose. You may wish to think about members who have different interests in walking to make a balanced group. Remember this should be a bottom-up group and not wholly led by a council or an entirely regeneration funded basis which may not be sustainable in the long term. (The ‘bottom-up’ approach means that the local community lead in the decisions and actions). When establishing a group it is best practice to have a constitution. Click here for a Constitution example.
- Inform us of your plans and apply for Provisional Membership of the Network by returning the form.
WAW Provisional membership application form
- Please remember to send a cheque to the Treasurer/Membership Secretary c/o 2 Tyerman Court, Heathhall, Dumfries, DG1 3RA
The 2018 fees are:
Population up to 3000 – £40
Population 3001 – 8,000 – £60
Population 8,001 – 15,000 – £80
Population over 15,000 – £100
Only one annual subscription is payable. Provisional membership lasts for a maximum of 12 months.
- If a provisional member achieves full accreditation within the same calendar year no subscription is payable until the following 1 January.
- If a provisional member achieves accreditation in the year following that in which provisional status was achieved then a pro-rata sub will be payable for that year based on complete months remaining of the year. e.g. accreditation in March – 9/12 of sub payable or accreditation in October – 3/12 of sub payable.
- A full sub would then be payable from 1 January in following year.
- Your application will be acknowledged and you will be advised the name of a local mentor who will offer informal advice on meeting the six criteria for full membership or any other issues.
- Work in your community to meet the six criteria. Don’t be afraid to be different, every community has special or diverse needs; we like to see innovation to suit individual communities. A community in WaW membership terms is: ‘Town, parish or Community Council area except in exceptional circumstances where agreed by the committee.’
- When you think you have met the criteria, let us know using the Application Form on this website. The Walkers are Welcome Towns Network executive committee will assess your application. Please remember that it can take up to six weeks for your application to be appraised and you should not market any launch event until you have heard back from us. All being well, we will be delighted to award you Walkers are Welcome status and may make some additional suggestions to help you. You will then be able to use the official logo on your local marketing material and take advantage of sharing knowledge and networking with other members.