Since 2009 the Winchcombe Walkers are Welcome group has been very active, promoting our town to the rest of the world. Evidence shows that it has worked and our town is now thriving again.
Here are some of our achievements:
* we stage an annual three day walking festival every May;
* we created two new trails, the Winchcombe Way and the Isbourne Way, with thousands of guide books sold;
* we raised money to create an all-ability trail, complete with two new bridges and radar kissing gates;
* we have produced numerous walk guides, leaflets and free downloadable walks;
* we created prescription walks for local people recovering from illness;
* we attracted Julia Bradbury to film a ‘Best walks with a view’ programme;
* we have shared our ideas with other Walkers are Welcome towns by writing Fact Sheets and running workshops;
* we instigated the Friendship arrangement with the Footpath Association of Japan;
Our ‘Donate a gate’ scheme led to 10 new metal kissing gates being installed in memory of loved ones. This is part of our mission to make most of our walks stile free.
We are proud to say that we are financially independent, generating our own income so that we can fund projects.
We work with the Cotswolds Voluntary Wardens to maintain the paths and of course, we regularly update our website. No wonder we have now become known as the ‘Walking Capital of the Cotswolds’.
Name: Sheila Talbot Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website and Links