Active Walkers are Welcome Towns
Accredited since: 2009
Since 2009 the Winchcombe Walkers are Welcome group have been very busy, including the following:
* staged an annual three day walking festival every May;
* created two trails, the Winchcombe Way and the Isbourne Way;
* raised money to create an all-ability trail, complete with two new bridges and radar kissing gates;
* produced numerous walk guides, leaflets and free downloadable walks;
* created prescription walks for local people recovering from illness;
* attracted Julia Bradbury to film a 'Best walks with a view' programme;
* shared our successful ideas with other Walkers are Welcome towns;
* instigated the Friendship arrangement with the Footpath Association of Japan;
We are currently running a 'Donate a gate' scheme so that people can sponsor a new kissing gate in memory of a loved one, in the hope that most of our walks will eventually be stile free.
We work with the Cotswolds Voluntary Wardens to maintain the paths and of course, we regularly update our website. No wonder we have now become known as the 'Walking Capital of the Cotswolds'.