Towns and villages where Walkers are Welcome
Walkers are Welcome is a nationwide initiative launched in 2007 to be ‘welcoming to walkers’. We enable the development of over 100 accredited Towns and Villages members to assist with their communities’ economic, physical, health and mental well-being through walking.
For more information or to get involved
Members of the Network are frequently asked to outline the benefits of joining the WAW network. Of course, these will vary from town to town but the headlines outlined below, provide a general summary gathered from current members.
- The process of applying for membership brings community groups and businesses together in partnership for the benefit of the whole community
- Allows communities to benefit from regular networking opportunities within the Town and with other members of the Network
- Attracts more people to visit your Town to enjoy local walks
- Economic benefit for local shops, B&Bs, Hotels, Pubs, Cafés, Restaurants, etc. through increased footfall
- Strengthens Towns’ reputation as a walking destination when signposted walks/walking guides are available
- Promotes other local visitor attractions
- Complements Towns’ economic generation/tourism plans and strategies
- Demonstrates that walkers will be given a warm welcome by the local community